About The Qualified Risk Director Programme
Investors and leading international professional associations have called for greater Board Risk governance and accountability across all types of organisations. Board Directors are increasingly being expected to take entrepreneurial risks and pursue risk-bearing strategic opportunities. With this comes the obligation for due diligence which implies the responsibility to understand thoroughly the company’s risks. This has tended to be a split responsibility between the Board Risk Management Committee and the Board Audit Committee. The ability of Boards, however, let alone the organisations they govern, to fully understand risk and risk management, has been called into question. Recognising this critical need for good Enterprise Risk Management practices at Board level, the Institute of Enterprise Risk Practitioners (IERP®) established a pioneering Qualified Risk Director (QRD™) program conducted by dedicated and experienced Internationally experienced Board Directors, Board Risk Management Committee Directors and Board Audit Committee Directors with the aim of filling the current void in enterprise risk management skills required to be successful in today’s business landscape.
With the shortage of sufficiently skilled and experienced leaders in business risk management principles it is becoming increasingly difficult for Boards to identify and/or recruit members based on their formal expertise in the management and governance of risk. The identification and recruitment of Qualified Risk Directors is an essential step to address these new expectations, especially at organisations whose complexity, or the challenges of their business environment, bring forward substantial or even existential threats, along with opportunities for growth that come from a better understanding of the
management and governance of risk.
Any Board member designated as a Qualified Risk Director is likely to have the need for professional, personal, business, and educational experiences that are somewhat unique to the role. The combination of risk management acumen, personal attributes, and business acumen covered over our unique ground-breaking QRD™ (Qualified Risk Director) program is the ideal mix required for success. One of the many aims of the IERP® is to promote effective Board level Enterprise Risk Management practices and to highlight its linkage to strategy, performance, ethics and good corporate governance. The QRD™ program has been specifically designed to cater for the needs of Board Directors generally, as well as specifically for Board Risk Management Committee Directors and Board Audit Committee Directors. As a Qualified Risk Director (QRD™) and member of the IERP®, you will be recognised as a sought after Board professional with the requisite skills and knowledge, giving you the business edge to set yourself and your organisation apart from the crowd.
Who Should Attend
Board of Directors
Chairman of the Board
Risk Committee Members & Advisors
Nomination & Remuneration Committee Members
By attending this program, participants will be able to:
1. Appreciate and experience managing the types and complexity of risk the organisation faces, utilizing a strategic ERM approach
2. Express how risk relates to integrity, ethics and ultimately to success.
3. Demonstrate how incentive and compensation design influence risk taking.
4. Explain the broad scope of risk, risk terminology, the tools of risk management and how to assess their proper application to the organisation.
5. Synthesise risk management best practices and their application to the organisation and in the organisation's specific areas of work, including a general familiarity with the principles of existing global standards.
6. Contrast the influence of corporate and regional cultures on risk taking.
7. Relate how risks can be amplified or attenuated.
8. Express an understanding of the regulatory environment in which the organisation operates, if any and prospective changes related to risk governance.
9. Implement effective board and or executive Risk Committee functions.
10. Describe the attributes of sound Qualified Risk Directors.
“I found this course to be one of the most beneficial director education training that I have undertaken in my many years as a director of a listed company.” Independent Non-Executive Director and Member of Audit Committee, A Regional Financial Institution
“Good overview of ERM and Board’s responsibility on ERM. Should make it mandatory for all Board members especially PLCs.” Board Director, A diversified group of companies focusing on port services and other related businesses